Spreadsheet for Tolerance Analysis
TolStackUp is a tolerance analysis spreadsheet (template) created in Microsoft Excel. Designed to analyze and manage the impact of dimensional deviations of parts in an assembly.
It is common to perform such tolerance analyses in a spreadsheet, usually Excel. It is organized, accurate and almost anyone can work with it. But it takes a lot of work to create a spreadsheet that meets all the requirements for proper tolerance analysis. The TolStackUp template, it is geared towards designers/developers, has everything you need to analyze and manage the dimensions and tolerances of parts in an assembly. Including correct calculation of the statistical results. The structured and methodical design makes the analysis and management clear and transparent.
By using a so-called ‘tolerance pool‘, TolStackUp is suitable for the analysis and management of large, complex assemblies with many tolerance chains. But it is also ideally suited for simple assemblies with only a single tolerance chain.
A step-by-step description of how to use the template is provided in the help page.
New in release 2.0 is the ability to easily incorporate parts produced with a Cpk specification into the analysis. It is possible to work with a general Cpk specification, but also with a custom specification per part. This article discusses the background and methodology. There are also articles about setting up a tolerance chain, on a step-by-step plan for tolerance stackup analysis and on the statistics of adding up tolerances.
Properties and Possibilities of TolStackUp
- Proven method of statistical addition, capability calculation and estimate of the failure rate;
- Combination of worst-case items and statistical items;
- Component specification with or without Cpk;
- Clear, unambiguous and uniform layout;
- Choice of two tolerance tables:
- a basic table for one to six degrees of freedom;
- specialized table for use with vectors;
- Number of tables and sheets can be expanded indefinitely;
- Structured design with a central tolerance pool and a vector pool;
- Due to its clear design suitable for a single analysis up to a spreadsheet with hundreds of analyses;
- Excellent for 3D analyses;
- Formulas protected against changes. No password so that flexible adjustments by the advanced user remain possible;
- Extensive help sheet included in the template;
- Example tables present in the template to further simplify the usage;
- Complete insight into the operation of the template, no hidden formulas or items;
- No tricky or unsafe macros or VBA code;
- One-time purchase and unlimited use;
- For Excel 2007 or later and LibreOffice;
- In accordance with the method as used in the Mikrocentrum course tolerance analysis.
The price for one user license is € 13.50. With 5 or more licenses, there is the following discount.
- 5 users; € 2,50 discount;
- 10 users; € 7,50 discount;
- 20 users; € 20,00 discount;
- 50 users; € 62,50 discount;
- Please contact us for an unlimited number of licenses.
The current release is 2.1.0. Updates of the template are always free.
Experience in Tolerance Analysis
TolStackUp was developed by Jaap Vink (Vink System Design & Analysis). He has many years of experience in making tolerance analyses and is a teacher of the tolerance analysis course at Mikrocentrum. See also the Mikrocentrum promotional video below (Dutch spoken).